pliny maior et minor

Gentle readers:

>From my (c) 1959, '62, '64, '66, '68 _Cassell's Latin Dictionary_
is:

C. Plinius Secundus maior ('Pliny, the Elder'), writer on natural
history, etc. (c. 23-79)

. . . . and

C. Plinius Caecilius Secundus minor ('Pliny the Younger'), (c. 61-c.
110)

and I believe the relation was grandparent/grandchild, not
parent/child; however I have not at my fingertips THAT documentation.
And what is the difference between a writer of natural history and a
natural historian, and palaeontology is a subset of natural history, of
course.

On the difference of C. and Gaius, Gaius is abbreviated as C. And
Plinius is a Roman _gens_ whence comes the _genus_ of our dear friend,
binomial nomenclature. However, most readers might already know this.

Regards,

Marc Bauer
Montana
EE UU
< David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:
<
< <<Pliny the Elder (Plinius Secundus) 23-79 CE>>
<
< <The Elder is "secundus"? ~:-|>
<
<   In this case, Gaius Plinius Secundus.