Re: Coelurosauravus: glider? or bluffer?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 11:05 PM

 Second off, I note a very interesting similarity to *Longisquama* in
that the dorsal structures of *L.* parallel curvature in *C.,* as well as
placement (on top of the skeletal characters that Senter noted, which I
forgot to ask him about at SVP this year), so it is easy to see the one
develop from the other, so either *L.* "lost" the dermal bone (failure to
ossify during ontogeny) or *C.* ossified them from unossified
cartilagenous cores that were likely present in the "rachis" of *L.* that
Jones et al. use to "prove" these were feathers.

If you really think there was cartilage in there, this could, ironically enough, make the wing rods of *C.* _endochondral_ bones.

 Dave asked for other animals with a similar pattern, and the pattern was
offered. For an example, *Kuehneosaurus* is so near to the amniote base
and origin of reptiles in some trees that it might as well be ridiculous
to NOT consider the possibility of other amniotes than diapsids here.

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with something else? In what I've read, *K.* was always a basal lepidosauromorph.