Re: "Dinosaurs in bullet-proof vests"

Well, since you asked for it, I thought I'd mention that bullet-proof vests made of kevlar would be very ineffective against predators. Kevlar stops bullets by spreading out the energy. Kevlar provides almost no protection against knifes, or in the case of animals, teeth or claws, as the threads are cut quite easily.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." Isaac Asimov

From: Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: "Dinosaurs in bullet-proof vests"
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:47:44 +0000 (GMT)

> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:23:05 -0500
> From: MKIRKALDY@aol.com
>
> 15.11.2004 - (idw) Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
>
> "Some dinosaurs possessed a hard bony armoured shell similar to
> today's crocodiles or tortoises - presumably to protect themselves
> from enemies.

Woah!  Let's not jump to conclusions!

:-)

Seriously, I give it about half an hour before someone suggests that
the "armour" is in fact a sexual display structure.  Just like
ceratopsians horns and frills, and sauropod necks.  And tyrannosaur
teeth.

Quiet on here, isn't it?  Is everyone still hung over from SVP?  And
does no-one have anything to discuss arising from what was presented
there, aside from two of Ken's buddies being tied together and thrown
into a swimming pool?

)_v__/\  "You can use the format-string `percent-thingummy, doohickey,
         blah blah'" -- Alec Turner