"Dinosaur extinction occurred at peak of diversity"

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-11/uori-deo111704.php
Public release date: 17-Nov-2004

Contact: Todd McLeish
tmcleish@uri.edu
401-874-7892
University of Rhode Island

"Dinosaur extinction occurred at peak of diversity
Research refutes long-held belief that diversity was declining"

KINGSTON, R.I. -- November 17, 2004 -- When dinosaurs became extinct from the
effects of a massive asteroid hitting Earth 65 million years ago, there were
more varieties of the reptiles living than ever before, according to a new
analysis of global fossil records by a team of researchers led by a University
of Rhode Island paleontologist.

"Our analysis finally lays to rest the old, utterly unsupported idea that
dinosaurs were declining in diversity during the last 10 million years of their
time on Earth," said David Fastovsky, URI professor of geosciences.
<SNIP>

Note the first sentence in the article: "When dinosaurs became extinct from the
effects of a massive asteroid hitting Earth 65 million years ago..."  They seem
pretty certain about the cause, unlike certain recent news releases.

Mary