Re: Copeing with mammals

 I follow David in taking little time to see the hole in this argument
(at least as present): if two species have any form of overlap, be they
both herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores, but show they were adapted for
different foods, they cannot, _cannot_ have competed.

Erm... hm. Actually, my argument was opposite: they can only compete if they overlap. When they don't, we may be seeing "the ghost of competition past", namely competitive exclusion = niche separation, but we aren't watching competition in real time.

In the example,
hesperocyonines being small, relatively opportunistic dogs whereas
borophagines, even the smaller ones being more robust crackers,

Both clades have produced forms with both lifestyles. But apparently not at the same time.