Re: Inbreeding and accelarated evolution?

On 23/11/04 5:38 am, "Robert J. Schenck" <nygdan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Though I think this point might be moot now no,
> what with Kimura's neutral hypothesis and how it
> affects speciation?

    As my uderstanding goes, Kimura's neutral theory (which is still fairly
controversial, by the way) is more applicable to changes within populations
than between them. Most neutral mutations do not reflect themselves in the
phenotype of the organism (that's what makes them neutral), and so cannot
possibly affect speciation.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor