Re: Inbreeding and accelarated evolution?

--- Christopher Taylor <ck.taylor@auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

>     As my uderstanding goes, Kimura's neutral
> theory (which is still fairly
> controversial, by the way) is more applicable
> to changes within populations
> than between them.

But at the actual speciation 'event' its just
going to be a mattter of population genetics
anyway no?

>Most neutral mutations do
> not reflect themselves in the
> phenotype of the organism (that's what makes
> them neutral), and so cannot
> possibly affect speciation.

well, at least not where speciation is being
caused by adaptation no?  Tho i admit i am having
trouble understanding how even non phenotypic
'isolating mechanisms' and the like could be
considered 'neutral'.  Perhaps I misunderstand
the idea in general, or at least gould's take on
it in TSOET.  I guess I'll have to go back to
page four billion and six in the brick, er, I
mean book, to review it.