Re: Dino/Avian Digit Homology References

I am wondering if anyone knows the specific
references to the papers ( I beleive its Gunter
Wagner or somesuch) that propose the apparent
discordance between phylogenetic digit loss in
dinosaurs and ontogenetic digit loss in birds is
reconciled by a ontogenetic 'frame shift'?

Off the top of my head, the authors are Gauthier & Wagner. Sorry not to be of more help; however, recently a paper has been, um, pre-published which says that the alula of birds is indeed a thumb because it doesn't express Hoxd-13 during development. The half-citation and the abstract have been posted onlist.