primers

Hi,

Just got my copy of Dinosauria 2.  As I am not a professional palaeontologist
or anatomist I found the pages of anatomical
abbreviations and diving headlong into cladistics a bit daunting.  Are there
any good primers that could be recommended on these
subjects.

I think I can see why cladistics and traditional systematics have a problem.  I
recent thread made reference to dogs and I believe
all domestic dogs are considered to be the same species as they can interbreed.
 Would a cladistic analysis of domestic dogs make
Great Danes and Jack Russels monophylitic?

John