RE: Diagnosis of Scelidosaurus?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Simon M. Clabby
>
> I've recently been trying to find a diagnosis of
> Scelidosaurus, but despite trailing through the
> journals, the only half-decent description (and no
> disrespect to those who have published on the little
> bugger) is Owens original in the Liassic Monograph,
> which to be honest isn't the most commonly stocked
> 'periodical' at public libraries.
>
> Does anybody know why this dinosaur, which has been
> known of since almost the beginning of dinosaur
> studies, has so-far failed to be given a detailed
> diagnosis?

A) Back when it was first described, folks weren't too comprehensive in
writing diagnoses.

B) Later, in the mid-20th Century, a project was begun by Alan Charig to
reprepare the specimen (etching out the bones with acid): this was going to
be one of Charig's projects for his retirement.

C) Dave Norman, who worked with the late Charig in part of the
redescription, is writing up a more complete redescription of the osteology,
starting with Charig's notes. Parts of this have already made it out (e.g.,
the Norman paper in Carpenter's Armored Dinosaurs volume).

Hope this helps,

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: