Re: New dinosaur diversity articles

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:54:45 -0700 (PDT) Tim Donovan <uwrk2@yahoo.com>
writes:

> --- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > Only if Nemegt and Tsagayan represent the same
> > environment. Is this really
> > the case?
>
>  Hard to say. The presence of a possible nodosaur in
> the Tsagayan suggests a near coastal environment,<snip>

It is my understanding that many of the world's *articulated* Anky
specimens are found near or in coastal environments.  But isolated
skeletal elements from Ankies have been found in a variety of other
paleoenvironments.  It has been suggested (by many workers) that the
concentration of their articulated skeletons in coastal/marine
environments is because of the "bloat and float" phenomenon.  Their
gas-filled corpses float down rivers into the sea where they eventually
sink and become protected from the large terrestrial scavengers that
would carry off the skeletal elements.  So the interpretation of the
Anky's preferred habitat may be based on a preservational bias rather
than on reality.

<pb>

Get your name as your email address.