Re: New dinosaur diversity articles

--- Phil Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:54:45 -0700 (PDT) Tim Donovan
> <uwrk2@yahoo.com>
> writes:
> >
> >  Hard to say. The presence of a possible nodosaur
> in
> > the Tsagayan suggests a near coastal
> environment,<snip>
>

> It is my understanding that many of the world's
> *articulated* Anky
> specimens are found near or in coastal environments.
>  But isolated
> skeletal elements from Ankies have been found in a
> variety of other
> paleoenvironments.

 Coombs and Maryanska noted that Asian ankylosaurid
specimens are often found articulated and right side
up, indicating they died within or near their natural
life habitat, the far inland regions of Mongolia,
where nodosaurs are unknown. American ankylosaurid
specimens, in contrast, are often found upside down,
indicating they were transported to the lowlands after
death.

 It has been suggested (by many
> workers) that the
> concentration of their articulated skeletons in
> coastal/marine
> environments is because of the "bloat and float"
> phenomenon.  Their
> gas-filled corpses float down rivers into the sea

AFAIK, only nodosaur remains occur in marine
sediments, presumably because ankylosaurids weren't
anywhere as near the coast.