Re: Theropods closed eyes when biting?

Lawrence_Dunn@smbcgroup.com wrote:

> I'll give this another shot -- would a theropod have likely closed its eyes
> when biting down on prey?  Specifically tyrannosaurs, which apparently
> stayed with the prey after biting down.
>
> A sculptor who is working on a T. rex biting a Triceratops has asked me,
> and I told him I'd pass the question along on the DML.  Is it anyone's
> guess, or is there a likely answer?

This is all guesswork, but:

I'd imagine a tyrannosaur would keep its eyes mostly open (save the
occasional blink). If they kept hold of prey, they'd have needed to be
able to see what others of the herd were doing. Imagine if a group of
ceratopians decided to mount a rescue mission, like Cape buffalo
sometimes do during a lion attack on one of their own.

In the case of prey that had pointy bits like a Triceratops, it would
also pay to keep watch on the prey you're holding, incase they manage to
whirl around and get their beak or horns into a position to fight back.

Sharks can close their eyes during an attack because at the last minute
they use electroreceptors to locate their prey. They also tend to 'bite
and run' (well, swim) with prey items that can potentially fight back.

Just speculation mind you...

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.ravencommunity.net/