Re: snake/spider venom

> > Besides, selection would act _against_ snake venom being overkill
> > for 65 million years.
>
> I don't know what made you say that...

If snake venom were really so much more venomous than needed, then it would
probably be more complicated to produce than needed (like, several hemo- and
neurotoxins instead of just one of one or the other, or whatever), so
natural selection would act against this state of affairs. 65 Ma are much
more than what natural selection would need. Therefore I think that if snake
venom were overkill, this couldn't possibly be an adaptation to Cretaceous
conditions.

Interesting examples!