Re: Insane Yixian theropod diversity

Mike de Sosa (stygimoloch81@hotmail.com) wrote:

<So why is that? Is it an artifact of preservation (tiny theropods are
smaller and more easily buried whole), of collection (small slabs easier
to collect and transport than lots of larger bones), or of publication
(feathered theropods look sexier on your CV)? Or some other bias? Was it
an ancient hockey game with the theropods on the biggest power play in
history? Or is it actually representative of the Yixian fauna? Can we even
tell?>

  Well, take a look at the rest of the fauna from the Yixian: there was an
incredible abundance of birds and several pterosaurs, many of which would
have represented prey species to several of the Yixian theropods.

  On another perspective, there were also several different distinct
layers opf the Yixian with distinct taxa, including the lowermost
Lujiatun, the younger Sihetun, and so forth, which affect the actual
concentration of species.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden