a dumb question regarding pterosaur biochemistry

A question for anyone who may be interested:
A friend has recently informed me that fish-eating pterosaurs start out
preferentially burning carbohydrates and sugars for energy just like we
humans do, and don't burn fats, oils, and protein till much later in a
flight.  That raised a couple of questions in my mind.  Since fish
contain essentially no carbohydrates (except for those that might be
found in their gut), since fish typically have very low glucose and
glycogen levels, and since pterosaur livers don't seem to be large
enough to rapidly process large quantites of glycogen from protein
anyway -- where do these preferentially burned carbohydrates and sugars
come from?
Thanks,
JimC