Re: getting a handle on Dinosaur taxonomy

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:33:33 -0700 Eric Martichuski
<herewiss13@hotmail.com> writes:
> I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the relationships
> between
> dinosaurs, and I was hoping someone might be able to clarify matters
> in
> terms of modern species comparisons.

I'm not sure that such a comparison can be made (am I sinking into
quicksand by making this claim?).

Nelson & Platnick, 1981, p. 14 sez:  "Species are the smallest
diagnosable cluster of
self-perpetuating organisms that have unique sets of characters".

The problem is, some modern "species" can interbreed, and their offspring
are fertile.  Now how does one handle the issue of these hybrids???

The definition(S) of "species", particularly of extant species, is very
subjective.  That's all I'm sayin'.

Genus, that's another matter entirely.

<pb>

Now includes pop-up blocker!