Re: altricial nestling bone fossilization

I'll reply with a question: are you considering mostly fully altricial species,
or would semialtricial species like herons be included?  (this seems relevant
largely because of body size issues).

--Mike Habib

Thank you, Mike.

I'm interested in rates and degrees of ossification in tetrapods that enter
this world essentially helpless. Unable to feed or defend themselves. And those
that grow fast, within a few weeks or a season. Do their bones show delayed
ossification, perhaps because 'soft' bones grow faster than hard ones do? I'm
in the dark here and need a bit of guidance with regards to extant tetrapods.
However, placentals I think I understand. If you have information on herons,
I'd be very glad to hear it. What would also be intriguing is how long thin
bones, such as heron or flamingo tibiae and metatarsals grow.

David Peters
St. Louis