RE: The Holy of Holies... Dinosauria II [Ceratopsia]

<snip>
> Basal Ceratopsia by You & Dodson
> Ceratopsidae by Dodson, Forster & Sampson

<snip>

I got a sneak peak at the ceratopsian-themed chapters this morning. .
they're looking really nice! Pretty fully rewritten, with lots of new data
and new taxa thrown in. The illustrations for the basal ceratopsian chapter
(including psittacosaurs, "protoceratopsians," etc.) are all new, and the
text is heavily rewritten (with new authors, for the most part, so that bit
makes sense). The ceratopsid chapter is nice too, although many
illustrations are simply rescanned from the last edition (not a criticism,
just a comment--they do a great job of showing the diversity of ceratopsid
skulls!). A big plus over the old edition, as Tom noted, is that the
character matrices will be available. This is good, as I really have no clue
how some of the topologies in the old edition were achieved (and it's been
told that many of them were "data-free" analyses).

My only real complaint with the book is the same as for the last edition. .
specimen numbers are not referenced at all with illustrations! On the plus
side, they still give citations for the original publication, and you can
track numbers down this way, but I'd still prefer to have the numbers in the
captions.

All in all, it's looking nice! I can't wait to get my own copy!

Andy