RE: It's Mei day!!

Quoting Michael de Sosa <stygimoloch81@hotmail.com>:

> Interesting that the two shortest dinosaur names both start with M- and end
> in -i, hmmm? Well, kinda interesting.

I also don't know of any other dinosaur whose generic name is a verb (though,
since I don't speak Mandarin, I don't know whether "mei" might also be used for
'sound sleeper' or 'soundly sleeping' in addition to 'sleep soundly'--Ben?).

I'm not sure how you would translate the full name.  A species name (like
_long_) is supposed to modify (or be in apposition to) the generic name (like
_Mei_).  Thus, _Mei long_ might mean something like 'sleeper: to wit, a dragon"
or "dragonish sleepy one", but it would not mean "sleeping dragon" (that would
have to be _Long mei_).

Nick Pharris
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Linguistics