Re: It's Mei day!!

<Go to http://www.zhongwen.com/. Fill in the field next to "English:"
(under "Search Dictionary") with "sleep soundly" or just with "sleep".
You'll get a bunch of results from "slang" to "slide", with lots of neat
clickable characters. Don't click those next to "sleep soundly". Click the
first two (first the left one, then the right one) next to "sleep", and
you'll find that there's a word for "sleep" that's pronounced mèngmèi. The
latter character doesn't appear elsewhere among the results. Looks like
it's not used alone anymore. Probably this is an issue of classical vs
modern Chinese, compared by one linguist in the 1950s as "like Latin and
French (not Latin and Italian)".>

  Note that the primary author of the paper is Chinese. I have a hunch
that how the name was chosen went that Mark Norell wanted to name the
animal "sleeping dragon," probably with a modifier for that fact that it
will, essentially, NEVER wake up, so I think they chose together to use
the phrase _mei long_ to describe this process. While not gramatically
correct in some forms, it follows direct on the heels of _dilong_ which
does mean literally "emperor dragon," so why not use _meilong_, and just
split the name into two different words, corresponding to the generic and
specific names?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden