Re: The Holy of Holies... Dinosauria II

HP Carpenter wrote:
don't forget the abnormally long diastema.

I'm not entirely convinced that the "diastema" (I really don't think this term should be used, since it normally refers to a gap in a toothrow...) is really that much bigger relative to skull length than in annectens. I'm not sure there is enough data to say for certain, but the 4 data points I have suggest that the edentulous oral margin of copei is the appropriate length relative to skull length for an annectens.

HP Holtz wrote:

The third possibility is a two genus solution a la Wright and Lull, with
Edmontosaurus regalis and Anatosaurus annectens and Anatosaurus copei
(assuming the phylogeny is indeed regalis + (annectens + copei)).

Or, for those of us who hate genera, nested clades: Edmontosaurus including regalis and Anatosaurus, Anatosaurus including annectens and copei. Personally, I think this is a little much, but that's because I hate genera.

Wagner