Re: Yandangornis

Ralph Miller (ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

<If these lumpings are correct, and if _Jeholornis_ is sunk into
_Shenzhouraptor_ as a previous post points out [...] then all four genera
would become one!  Mama mia!>

  And that name would be *Yandangornis.* :)

  Yandangornis Cai and Zhao, 1999
    Y. longicaudatus Cai and Zhao, 1999

  Shenzhouraptor Ji, Ji, You, Zhang, Yuan, Ji, and Li, 2002
    S. sinensis Ji, Ji, You, Zhang, Yuan, Ji, and Li, 2002

  Jeholornis Zhou and Zhang, 2002
    J. prima Zhou and Zhang, 2002

  Jixiangornis Ji, Ji, Zhang, You, Zhang, Wang, Yuan and Ji, 2002
    J. orientalis Ji, Ji, Zhang, You, Zhang, Wang, Yuan and Ji, 2002

  These are in chronological order [Shen preceeded Jeholo by a week in
July, whereas Jixiang was published in November], so hierarchy, if all
synonymous, is clear. However, I do recall that *Yandangornis* had much
more cursorial proportions in the legs than a typical climbing bird would,
or what is seen in the relatively short-legged *Shenzhouraptor*.

  http://dino.lm.com/images/display.php?id=1808 = *Yandangornis*

  I should be uploading my *Jeholornis* skeleton, done prior to it's
synonymization by Ji et al., I guess, for comparison.

  Note that in Mickey's preliminary trees, while I fail to trust them,
show these birds to fall around each other, but not in a single group.
This is without some information, but leg characters (which are absent)
would appear to _separate_ some of these taxa.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden