Re: what would happen if....?

On Sunday 17 Oct 2004 15:46, David Marjanovic wrote:
> > Does anyone have a idea if domesticated cows could
> > become feral and ultimately survive in the absence of man?
>
> If we take into account that the aurochs lived in forests (around
> forest clearings), and not in steppes/prairies, then -- yes, it has
> already happened. There's a sort of walled preserve somewhere in
> northern England where a herd of cattle has lived, isolated from the
> world, since the Middle Ages. They don't tolerate the presence or
> scent of man. Only in some winters do they get a little hay. They are
> genetically identical, but the population stays healthy (and doesn't
> explode despite the absence of predators!) mainly because the bulls
> fight so much that only one gets to mate per year. Reference: TV.

It is Chillingham Park. The park (365 acre) was enclosed in the 13th
century to provide secured hunting ground for the aristocrats. See :

http://www.chillingham-wildcattle.org.uk/Visitor_Information.htm

Though it is claimed that they have descended from the wild cattles that
inhabited the area in the 13th century, most such hunting grounds were
restocked at various times. The park also contains other animals, such
as deers, more suitable for hunting. The park itself is not an wild
area, it was landscaped in 1760s.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com