Re: Metazoan gene count

Thinking out loud here, and without necessarily looking things up:

    The news item also mentions a similar gene count for Arabidopsis,
meaning that this would have to be the gene number for all eukaryotes - it
seems likely these days that the divergence between animals and plants is
either close to or at the first divergence in the eukaryotic crown
(Cavalier-Smith 2002, Simpson & Roger, 2002).
    Teleost fish have a genome duplication relative to other vertebrates
(Mulley & Holland, 2004 - just today, in fact). So the number of genes would
be, a priori, doubled. I'm currently working in fish genetics, and I know
that in at least some of these (i.e. those our lab is currently working on)
both duplicates are functional, and have functionally diverged since
duplication. So fish would be expected to have considerably more genes than
humans.
    I don't think that there's likely to be some set gene number that all
eukaryotes share - just one that the three species in the news item share.