Prehistoric Mammals

       I received my copy of _National Geographic Prehistoric Mammals_by Alan
Turner and illustrated by Mauricio Anton today. Finally, an excellent
introduction to mammalian paleontology. Mauricio's illustrations are superb as
usual.
Almost 200 pages in full color, it's a bargain at Amazon for about $20.
       Just one criticism; why are today's book designers unaware of the fact
that a gutter runs down the spine of a book when opened? That's where they
often seem to place the most important part of illustrations. You would never
catch that in one of Knight or Burian's classic books. Any law against a
horizontal format? DV