Re: Jouve's and Tacquet's Ctenochasma sp.

Quoting david peters <davidrpeters@earthlink.net>:

> Stephane Jouvé asked that I post this letter to the dinosaur list.
>
> With all honors, I do so now without comment, other two preliminary notes:
>
> 1) a phylogenetic analysis of every decent specimen in the inventory of the
> Pterosauria reveals that that the Pterodactyloidea is paraphyletic,

Er, you mean polyphyletic.

> with
> separate origins for the Ctenochasmatoidea, etc. and the Azhdarchidae, etc.
> from various Dorygnathus specimens; and the Cycnorhamphidae +
> Ornithocheirid[ae], etc. and Pterodactylidae + Germanodactylidae etc.
> etc. from various Scaphognathus (themselves derived from basal Dorygnathus).

Paraphyletic is what _Dorygnathus_ and _Scaphognathus_ would be, under this
scenario.

And let me express my amazement (and skepticism) that you've been able to prove
that all these higher-level clades are actually descendants of particular,
known specimens.

Nick Pharris
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Linguistics