A sad loss for paleontology

Hi everyone,

Paleontology lost a great advocate this past Monday with the death of Dr. Elizabeth (Betsy) Nicholls. Betsy was the curator of marine reptiles at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta, Canada. Many of you may remember that Betsy won the auspicious 2000 Rolex award for her work on the 23 meter long Pink Mountain (British Columbia) ichthyosaur.

I have a great picture of Betsy at Dr. Phil Currie's surprise party in 2001 leaning back in a chair with a Labatt's in her hand grinning away. I will always remember Betsy's genuine smile and how, no matter how infrequently I visited, she always had the time to stop and chat with me whenever she saw me walking through the museum. She will be missed.

The Tyrrell has a short tribute to Betsy on their website at http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/events/#loss

Sadly,

Patty

"Dream as if you'll live forever.  Live as if you'll die today"
James Dean

Patty Ralrick
Bellevue, NE  USA