Re: Permian metatarsal/metacarpal question

Dave Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Does anyone know of any Permian or Triassic diapsids in which metacarpals
II-V AND metatarsals II-V _decrease_ laterally? I ran across one and was
surprised. In both cases I is smaller than II. Just wondering what it's
relatives might be.>

  Drepanosaurids *Drepanosaurus,* *Megalancosaurus,* and a specimen
mentioned by Renesto in 1999 have as their longest metacarpal III, and all
others decrease in length from their successively. Similarly, they possess
phalangeal formulae of 2-2-3-3-3, so this is even more distinctive.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden