Re: Adieu Ingenia

Christopher Taylor wrote-

>     Does anyone have a contact for Barsbold? I've just found that
_Ingenia_
> Barsbold, 1981 is preoccupied by _Ingenia_ Gerlach 1957 (a nematode), and
> can't recall having heard this mentioned before.
>     Is the name _Ingenia_ in current use dinosaur-wise?

barsgeodin@magicnet.mn

Very interesting.  Ingenia is indeed in current use.  Qui and Huang (2001)
described new remains and eggs they referred to Ingenia.  Lu's dissertation
was on a specimen he refers to Ingenia.  Lu et al. (2002) later wrote a
paper using this specimen as a basis for placing oviraptorosaurs in Avialae.
Osmolska (2004) described the skull roof of a referred specimen of Ingenia.
It's been used as an OTU in the phylogenetic analyses of the Theropod
Working Group (eg. Norell et al., 2001; Clark et al., 2002; Makovicky et
al., 2003; Hwang et al., 2004) and Maryanska et al. (2002).
Incidentally, it has a subfamily associated with it as well.
Anyone for expanding Heyuannia to include "Ingenia" yanshini, now that we
know I. mirabilis exists?

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington