Re: Adieu Ingenia

Please, please, please, please, please be careful with this topic. If the name is indeed preoccupied, and the dinosaur does need to be renamed, it'd be fair to let Barsbold have the first crack at this. I will be royally torqued off at this list if I see a new name in the next issue of Prehistoric Times. . .

Andy

From: Mickey Mortimer <Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Adieu Ingenia
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:59:14 -0700

Nick Gardner wrote-

> > Anyone for expanding Heyuannia to include "Ingenia"
> > yanshini, now that we
> > know I. mirabilis exists?
>
> Would you be kind enough to list what possible shared
> features are between them? Oviraptorid phylogeny isn't
> oft discussed except for the generalities that there
> are some taxa that are oviraptorids (Oviraptor, GI
> 100/42, Citipati, Khaan, Ingenia, Heyuannia,
> "Rinchenia", etc.).

I was thinking of the increased sacral count and reduced manual digits II
and III.  Still, of the named genera, my analysis finds-
(Oviraptor ((Conchoraptor, Khaan) ("Rinchenia" (Ingenia (Heyuannia,
Citipati)))))
at the moment.

So Ingenia should probably just be renamed.  Suggestions?
There's the traditional prefixes and suffixes-
Euingenia, Neoingenia, Ingenioides, Ingeniasaurus, Ingeniaraptor,
Ingeniavenator, etc.
Or we can just change the name slightly, to decrease confusion-
Injenia, Ingenya, Ingenea, etc.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington