Re: Adieu Ingenia

Mickey Mortimer (mickey_mortimer111@usc.edu) wrote:

<Anyone for expanding Heyuannia to include "Ingenia" yanshini, now that we
know I. mirabilis exists?>

  There are a few courses of action, depending on useage: suppression of
the nematode *Ingenia* in favor of the theropod (not a fan), renaming
*Ingenia,* or as Mickey suggests, subsuming *yanshini* in a current,
non-preoccupied genus. However, the ICZN states:

 "Article 60. Replacement of junior homonyms.
  60.1. Substitute names. A junior homonym [Art. 53] must be rejected and
  replaced either by an available and potentially valid synonym [Art.
  23.3.5] or, for lack opf such a name, by a new substitute name [Art.
  60.3]..."

 "60.3. Junior homonyms without synonyms. If the rejected junior homonym
  has no known available and potentially valid synonym it must be replaced
  by a new substitute name, with its own author and date; this name will
  then compete in priority with any synonym recognized later."

 "Article 23. Principle of Priority.
  23.3.5. The Principle of Priority requires that if a name in use for a
  taxon is found to be unavailable or invalid it must be replaced by the
  next oldest available name from among its synonyms, including the names
  of the contained taxa of the same group (e.g., subgenera within genera),
  providing that that name is not itself invalid. If the rejected name has
  no potentially valid synonym a new substitute name (se Article 60.3)
must
  be established in its place."

  Unfortunately for the potential renamers among us, there are _two_
synonyms available for *Ingenia* Barsbold: *Oviraptor* Paul (1988) and
*Oviraptor* (*Oviraptor*) Paul (1988), a genus and subgenus. Both compete
in priority now with any potential name to include *yanshini,* including
*Heyuannia.* It would seem that before any name could be coined to include
*yanshini* again, it falls to *Oviraptor yanshini* (Osborn) Barsbold.
Since Barsbold is apparently a co-author of the oviraptorosaur chapter of
_the Dinosauria II_, we may just have to wait what _official_ action may occur.

=====
Jaime A. Headden