Re: Adieu Ingenia

Chris Taylor (ck.taylor@auckland.ac.nz) wrote:

<There would probably be no grounds for the suppression of _Ingenia_
Gerlach 1957.>

  As I said, I am not a fan; and the weighing in of vert paleos for the
use of their name would be unreasonable.

<It sounds like Dr. Barsbold is probably aware of the preoccupation, and
any new name should be at his disgression. There is no kudos in attaching
one's name to someone else's work.>

  Indeed, I have a great deal of respect for Barsbold Rinchen, and he's
been enormously helpful in the past few years in my research on
oviraptorosaurs, especially regarding this particular animal (my favorite
oviraptorosaur); one can say that it was Barsbold that helped ensure that
Mongolia developed its own paleontological enterprise, rather than being
controlled by outside institutions (namely, the Soviets and Chinese) prior
to its independance from both. While it is true that most research is
still done in concert with the Japanese, Americans, Russians, and Polish,
Mongolia does also conduct research and maintain it's collections on its
own, and while Rinchen gets on in his years and is ready to retire, it
should be noted his career has allowed him much insight in his work that
is invaluable to any other workers. It's a pity *Barsboldia* and
"Rinchenia" would already be available, when it comes due to honor him as
many have done for other greats in the field. This is why I would _never_
advocate rushing ahead to usurp his work, much less anyone else's, as
*Ingenia* was the only second oviraptorid named, and the first named by a
Mongolian.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden