Re: Registration

Quoting "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>:

> I understand why that would be more proper etymologically, but I think it
> would
> create confusion, since tacking on a suffix sometimes requires modifying the
> root. For example, you changed an "a" to an "o". What if there's something
> else
> named _Gastonio_?

Unlikely, but there might be a _Gastonius_ or _Gastonion_ out there, which would
work the same way.

> The only way for this to work simply (which is, after all, the idea here, and
> feel free to argue against that idea) would be to require keeping the root
> the
> same. But, since many names end in consonants, this would prove unwieldy,
> e.g.
> "Ficuszoon" or worse.

"_Ficozoon_", though I realize that would require some morphological analysis of
the name in question.

But hell, if you don't want to bother figuring out how Latin and Greek names
work, why don't you just call it "ZZ99D225SCK"?

(That was not a personal attack on you, Mike.  I'm just the most curmudgeonly
27-year-old on the planet.)

> The reason I proposed prefixes ending in vowels is because they can be tacked
> on to anything. (Well, okay, adding "Zoo-" to a clade starting with "O" could
> be awkward ... hmmm ... I dunno, maybe it doesn't work.)

I think before a name beginning with a vowel, it would just be "Zo-", so
something like (hypothetical) "Adamsia" would become "Zoadamsia".

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan