crow caregiving

Crows have featured often on this list...but I don't remember reading
about them taking care of sick family members before.  Enjoy!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:11:48 -0400
From: john bois <jbois@starpower.net>
To: jbois@umd5.umd.edu
Subject: crow caregiving

ABSTRACTS - 2004 AFL/WOS MEETING, ITHACA, NEW YORK

Familial care -giving in American Crows. KEVIN J. MCGOWAN, Cornell Lab of
Ornithology, Ithaca, NY

14850, Anne B. Clark and Douglas A. Robinson, Jr., Biological Sciences,
Binghamton University,

Binghamton, NY, 13902, and Carolee Caffrey, Audubon Science, Ivyland, PA 18974.

Care-giving to sick or disabled conspecifics is rarely reported in non-human
animals, but is

theoretically important. Anecdotal accounts exist for dolphins, great apes and
elephants. Here we describe

care-giving to individuals within family groups of the cooperatively breeding
American Crow (Corvus

brachyrhynchos). American Crows live in extended family groups, and offspring
can remain with their

parents for up to seven years. Family relationships can be important for the
attainment of breeding status;

budding of the parental territory and the helping of siblings are frequent.
Family members participate in

territory defense, predator mobbing, and the care of offspring. Several
instances of sick or injured crows

being defended and fed by family members were observed. Feeding of sick crows
did not depend on begging

by those individuals. Contact with sick family members presents a potential for
the spread of diseases,

especially that caused by West Nile virus (WNV). We observed crows dying of WNV
to see if physical

contact with family members was an avenue of disease transmission. We observed
no direct contact with

dying WNV-infected crows, but family members were present in most instances,
and guarded or kept vigil on

the moribund crows. Care-giving is not restricted to humans or a few
highly social mammals, but occurs in

complexly social birds as well.