Re: really big question

Cliff Green wrote-

>      I agree with the list members that more information is required to
form
> a firm conclusion on whether ornithiomimids where generally with or
without
> plumage. However, I still don't think everyone exactly got my point. The
> pelecanimimus discription, provided By Ralph Miller says that birds where
> found on the site with feather impressions. Fish where found with scale
and
> internal tissue preservation. Pelecanimimis was found with skin, tissue,
and
> keritaneous preservation, and no, repeat no plumage impressions. Saying
that
> with all the other animals at the site having this amazing amount of
> preservation, and Pelicanimimis's feathers not showing up because of bad
> preservation is at best,  miraculous.

Two points-
First, Pelecanimimus was found with _some_ skin.  It was preserved at least
on the throat pouch.  But where else was it preserved?  We don't know, it
hasn't been described in enough detail yet.  So it's perfectly possible the
skin is only found in small areas expected to be naked, and feathered areas
were simply not preserved.
Second, Jordan Mallon was correct to question whether every Las Hoyas bird
preserves feathers.  Not all do.  Iberomesornis does not.  Concornis only
preserves traces of primaries, which would perhaps be absent in
non-maniraptorans.  Eoalulavis is exceptional in preserving primaries,
secondaries, body feathers and an alula.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington