Re: Enigmosauria

I forgot to note something I should have in my last post, so here goes:

  I understand that Mickey may have attempted to use my use of
Charadriiformes as an example of my using undefined terminology, in an
attempt to accept the given name. However, this rather would seem to argue
for lack of use of a good deal of taxonomy, as well as the Enigmo-name,
until such definitions are used, so Mickey's point can be well taken, and
we can stop using a lot of established terminology. There IS another
aspect to this:

  Gary Larson.

  Why do I mention this? Gary Larson has at one or two points used a name
and applied it to a fake dinosaur, in his strip "the Far Side". This has
NOT been treated as a nomen nudum, even though published, for two reasons:
1) it was published in a figure, as well as 2) in a manner that is not
acceptible for publishing names -- and 3) it was never intended to be a
real name, much as joke names (e.g., Kittysaurus, Ichabodcraniosaurus) are
used to "nickname" specimens or species (we remember Jeff Martz'
Elvisaurus from many years back, for *Cryolophosaurus*?). This enforces
the idea that figures do not get used for nomenclatural purposes, as well
as being specifically prohibited against. There is an important flavor in
accepting names that are accompanied by a verbal description of the
purpose of this name, at the time it is initially used. Otherwise, its
application, regardless of figures, is pointless. There is NO LESS than a
firm application as to the use of Charadriiformes, even if this is not as
unambiguous as it could be --- the situation is being rectified. Use of
the given name has never been followed by use with a definition, and the
application, as noted before, has been ambiguous, even though Mickey has
applied his own given definition, a stem-modified node-based clade, which
does tend to fly in the face of what I've HEARD the preferred NODE-based
definition WOULD be; so this only affirms the ambiguity in the application
of the name; even worse so due to its presence in a figure and without
clarifying, descriptive text in the body of the document. Thus, this name
is even _worse_ than Charadriiformes.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden