Re: really big question

Dino Guy Ralph (ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

<Thus far, the best evidence for tubercular integument in theropods occurs
on _Carnotaurus_ and (according to an abstract in last year's SVP meeting
volume) _Allosaurus_.  No coelurosaur is known to have sported such a
pelt. If you accept that ornithomimids were coelurosaurs no more basal
than compsognathids, then you must conclude that it is probable that they,
too,  were feathered.>

  The holotype specimen of *Scansoriopteryx* shows a tail with tubercular,
roughly rhomboid scales on a patch of the tail, preserved as impressions,
leading some (including myself) to hypothesize that the tail lacked
feathery integument at least on one portion (like scaly-tailed squirrels)
or all of it (like in muroid rodents). In addition, "Dave" sports
scutellate scales on the pes, similar to those few non-dinosaurian,
non-pterosaurian reptiles recovered from the Yixian.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden