Re: [darren.naish@port.ac.uk: 52nd SVPCA meeting], Giraffatitan

From: Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>
To: twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com
CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: [darren.naish@port.ac.uk: 52nd SVPCA meeting]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:41:16 +0100

I wonder if anyone can tell me where "Giraffatitan" has been published
as a genus?  Paul 1988, which creates the name, proposes it as a
subgenus of _Brachiosaurus_, but not as a genus.  It seems that people
have started to run with the idea of it as a separate genus, but I'd
like to see the reference for this.

Paul (1988, p. 8) wrote "Therefore, only a separation at the subgeneric level is proposed below, with the option of raising the separation to the generic level left open for future developments." So the possibility of *Giraffatitan* as a genus has kind of always been there.

The earliest reference to actually do this is Olshevsky 1991, IIRC.

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.