RE: Compsognathus

Hi there,

I've been reading the feathers debate on DML with interest. I've have also recently been reading a book about the survivors of the USS Indianapolis (there is a point, believe me). One thing was mentioned that I thought might have some bearing on this and that is the caustic nature of salt water. Apparently, many survivors came out of the water with all their body hair dissolved away after four days in the ocean. As I recall the Solenhofen lagoons were very saline and if Compsognathus feathers were fine, perhaps they had simply dissolved away prior to preservation. The larger feathers of Archaeopteryx may have taken longer to break down. The Chinese feathered dinosaurs were from freshwater environments, after all.

Steve

Steve White

Tel: +44 (0) 207 564 5033
http://www.gn.apc.org/thunderlizard/index.html