Re: Jurassic pachycephalosaurs

> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
>
> <And how does a Callovian pachycephalosaur only extend the record of
> pachycephalosaurs by 10-20 million years?  Has anything else been
> published on pachycephalosaurs from the end of the Jurassic?>
>
>   Supposedly this referrences *Yaverlandia*, from the Weald of England.

Darren Naish tells me that _Yaverlandia_'s pachycephalosaurian
affinities have been questioned more than once before his SVPCA
presentation.  In particular, there's apparently a "Sullivan 2000"
that does this: I guess (but don't know) that it's his SVP abstract:

        Sullivan, R. M.  2000.  Stegoceras revisited.  Journal
        of Vertebrate Paleontology 20(3), supplement, 72A.

Again acting on information received from Darren (:-), I can reveal
that _Stenopelix valdensis_ from the Berriasian of Germany is a
stronger contender for the coverted "earliest pachycephalosaur" title.
The reference here is Sereno 2000, which I guess is:

        Sereno, P. C. (2000). "The fossil record, systematics and
        evolution of pachycephalosaurs and ceratopsians from Asia," in
        M. J. Benton, M. A. Shishkin, D. M. Unwin & E. N. Kurochkin,
        eds., The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and Mongolia, Cambridge
        University Press: 480-516.

I don't have either of these myself, though, so I can't give details.

)_v__/\  "Clear thinking is not aided by better dot resolution.
         Understanding ourselves and feeling for others does not come
         with a software upgrade" -- Linda Ray Pratt.