Re: Psittacosaurus adult found with 34 juveniles

I think it is likely that the eggs were all shelled at one time. I only suspect that they cannot come from one parent because they would have to be a tenth the size (if not substantially smaller) to fit into the body cavity of an adult of the size that is (apparently) represented by the skull on top of the nest. It seems less likely, though certainly possible, that precocial young would still be in the nest after such a large amount of growth. I therefore think it more likely (though hardly air-tight) that the young were born closer in size to the that represented by the preserved animals, and they came from different mothers. If we find complete eggs, it will obviously be easier to answer this question (because birth size will be constrained).

Haven't Protoceratops eggs been found? What were the comparative sizes between those, the juveniles & the adults?