Monotypic genera and the PhyloCode [was: Re: Lumping Spinosauridae Redux]

It has been proposed informally (by me) that monotypic genus names NOT be converted under the PhyloCode. Such names could be used in an informal sense (with quotation marks, an asterisk, or with a note somewhere in the paper to that effect), basically as "placeholders" conferring access to the literature. This would also apply to quasi-monotypic genera, where all of the included species are suspected of being synonymous, or where most of them are fragmentary, or where there is debate about the scope of the traditional genus.

I suspect that this is the best approach to take with the "spinosaurs." Better to avoid defining very exclusive clades now, and prevent the need for endless revision and appeals to the CPN later!

Jon