If No. 9 is a hatchlingâ?¦

I wonder what size the mother would have to be if No. 9 was indeed a hatchling?

[see previous thread: pterosaur stuff. Or visit
pterosaurinfo.com/scapho_clade.html to get up to speed.)

If No. 9 (Wellnhofer 1970) was live born, arriving head first, something the
size of Scaphognathus crassirostris would have to produce it (ischium unknown,
but guess-timated from the smaller taxa next to it (see
pterosaurinfo.com/scapho_clade.html)

Any other guesstimates are welcome. Send them in.

However, if No. 9 arrives in an egg and is doubled over with its chin on its
chest in ovo, as is typical, then weâ??re going to need a bigger mother.

No. 9 is on the small end of the pterosaur scale.  About the size of a small
bat or a hummingbird. They donâ??t come much smaller. So if itâ??s not a
hatchling, what is?

Hmm, maybe it's older... maybe not a precocial hatchling...

The trouble shows up when you try to find a suitable mother for this taxon.
Nothing that PAUP says is  closely related to it can possibly produce the egg
in which it had to be packaged in because the pelves are too small. That means
we either go up or down the line of descent looking for a suitable cloacal
opening.

Unfortunately, the further away we go, the more  morphological changes weâ??re
faced with. The pedal digits have different proportions. The prepubis will have
a different shape. The teeth will be way different. Then you've got palate
problems. Sternal complex shape changes. And I haven't even touched on the wing
proportions. Now you have a real problem. Are we even in the same genetic
ballpark?

How can we find a mother for No. 9?

Your challenge is to match a baby with a mother. Any baby. Any mother. Post
your pair. Then weâ??ll discuss it in public.  I'd like to find a mother for
No. 9, but I'll take anything you can offer. Be prepared to defend your work.

Itâ??s a great scientific challenge. And its worthy of a paper.

Let Unwin and Bennett know about this if you think they'd be interested.

Looking forward to your paired taxa.

David Peters
St. Louis