RE: Monotypic genera and the PhyloCode

> > > If we're going to get rid of binominals, I think
the best way to do it is to have a straightforward way
of converting a binominal into a  "uninominal" that
 encodes the same information. >>>

Just a simple question in all of this "uninominal"
prattle. Do we all really think that all of science is
going to change to the paleontological way of thinking
about the binomials? I can?t see biologists especially
botanists and entomologists ever going along with
this. They would all have to spend the rest of their
careers renaming things and rewriting texts to the
satisfaction of the paleontologists.
In the world, some 900 thousand different kinds of
living insects are known and about 52,000 vertebrates.

Other large numbers are:
Bacteria...............................................
4,000
Algae, protozoa, etc. ..........................
80,000
Fungi.................................................
72,000
Plants..............................................
270,000
Largely because of this disagreement among experts,
the total number of species on Earth is variously
estimated to be between 5 and 50 million or more. Only
about 1.75 million have actually been described,
however.

Being a biology teacher and a paleontologist I think
there are better things to do in science that to try
and change all of science to alleviate this problem in
one vein of science. It?s just my opinion though? I
haven?t talked this problem over specifically with
anyone else at the university. But from general
conversations no one else in the past few years seemed
to think there was any real problem with names. Having
these extra-long compound names seems to make science
more unapproachable by the general public.
If we are going to force this on science why not be
truly radical and go to shorter names?since everything
will have to be changed anyway? think smaller. Why not
begin with no more than two syllables until we run out
of those and only then add another syllable to names.
Parasaurolophuscyrtocristatus seems so unwieldy to the
average person.
Obviously some of this is tongue in cheek but do we
assume we control all of science in this?
Barry

=====
Barry S. Kazmer
407 5th Ave. N.E.