Re: If No. 9 is a hatchling

Dave Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Okay. Let's play.>

  Chiming in.

  Okay, both David Marjanovic and I have listed a variety of juvenile
features one should expect in a juvenile that Dave Peters ascribes to
adult nature of the "embryo." These are found in house cats as well as
juvenile "big cats."

  1. Short snouts relative to cranium volume
  2. Large orbits relative to volume or area of cranium
  3. Extremities prolongated or extended relative to trunk dimensions
  4. Manus and pes large relative to more proximal segments or limb girdle
     elements.
  5. Relatively short tail to trunk length
  6. Large skull relative to trunk, limb, tail, etc., dimensions

  These features are related to ontogeny, but also appear in neotenic
descendants. Those neotenic descendants, like the cats, show a shortened
juvenile history of osteology, as in the big cats, in which juveniles
resemble "ancestral" adults. This occurs with the given examples of chimps
and human children, which show "adult chimp" porportions and physical
characteristics. This is an example of retaining adult features only in
ontogeny, modifying them into maturity with increasing size. Dwarf
elephants show large heads, large eyes, more gangly limbs, smaller trunks,
etc. [paedomorphism].

  Beware paedomorphism (retaining juvenile features in descendant species)
as well as peramorphism (retaining adult features in descendant species).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden