Why did only avians survive?

In my brief perusal of paleontology literature, I have
not yet come across a discussion of why only the avian
dinosaurs survived whatever cataclysm or gradual
process by which the rest of the dinosaurs became
extinct.  Surely some species of dinosaurs where of
similar size and lifestyle than the surviving avians,
especially those closer to the avian phylogeny.  Why
only birds from among the many species of dinosaurs
present on earth at the moment?  I find this rather
puzzling.
Is there a generally accepted answer to this question
or any leading theories that address it?

Thanks in advance.

Manuel E. Parrado