Re: Pronunciation Database

> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:09:54 -0400
> From: Tyler Kerr <tylerkerr@comcast.net>
>
> I find myself constantly butchering various dinosaur names on almost
> a daily basis. Does anyone know of an online database that provides
> the pronunciation of the name as well as the facts?

The best I've seen on this count is Jeff Poling's _Dinosauria On-Line_
web-site at
        http://www.dinosauria.com/
which includes Ben Creisler's pronunciation guide at
        http://www.dinosauria.com/dml/names/instruct.htm
Two caveats, though: one is that this work is now nine years old, so
many more recent names are not included.  The other is that in many
cases there seems to no consensus over which pronunciation is correct:
for example, I have heard _Deinonychus_ pronounced as both
Die-no-NIKE-us and Di-NON-i-chus.

The good news is that there seems to be a trend for the authors of
names to specify in the papers how they want them to be pronounced.
For example, Harris and Dodson's paper describing _Suuwassea_,

        Harris, J. D. and Peter Dodson.  2004.  A new diplodocoid
        sauropod dinosaur from the Upper Jurassic Morrison Formation
        of Montana, USA.  Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 49(2):
        197-210.

says (p2):

        Genus Suuwassea nov.
        Etymology: From the Crow (Native American)
        "suuwassa". Intended pronunciation: "SOO-oo-WAH-see-uh".
        [...]
        The spelling of the name follows the best current orthography
        for the Crow language, which does not use Latin characters;
        the pronunciation is approximate and simplified.

Very helpful.  And, by the way, you can download the paper from
        http://app.pan.pl/acta49/app49-197.pdf

)_v__/\  "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
         Unless there are three other people" -- Orson Welles.