Re: Pronunciation Database

On Apr 5, 2005 4:08 PM, Christopher Taylor <ck.taylor@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>     I'd like to note, too, that scientific names are regulated only with an
> eye to written communication, not spoken communication. So there isn't such
> a thing as an 'official' pronunciation of names.

Yeah, at SVP this becomes pretty apparent, when you hear different
researchers pronounce the same technical words differently--not just
taxonomic names, but things like "APP-o-morf-ee" vs. "APE-o-morf-ee".

I've wondered sometimes if one could compile a list of pronunciations
to use as characters and then run an cladistic analysis on the
researchers, producing a phylogeny that shows more or less who was
taught by whom (since presumably students tend to pick up
pronunciations from their mentors).

--Mike Keesey