Re: Pronunciation Database

> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:21:25 -0700
> From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
>
> > I'd like to note, too, that scientific names are regulated only
> > with an eye to written communication, not spoken communication. So
> > there isn't such a thing as an 'official' pronunciation of names.
>
> Yeah, at SVP this becomes pretty apparent, when you hear different
> researchers pronounce the same technical words differently--not just
> taxonomic names, but things like "APP-o-morf-ee"
> vs. "APE-o-morf-ee".

Yup.  I had a heck of a time at my first SVPCA: when I first heard
Darren talking about the family of dinosaurs close to _Diplodocus_ I
didn't at all understand what he was getting at, because he pronounced
"Diplodocidae" so different from what I'd been saying to myself: he
said "Dip-lo-duh-SIDE-ee", I'd been saying "Dip-lo-DOCK-uh-day", so
that's five differences in pronunciation in a single word!  ("uh" for
"o", "s" for "ck", "i" for "uh", "ee" for "ay" and the positioning of
the stess.)  I think we quickly forget for freaky this kind of thing
can be for newcomers.

)_v__/\  "[In writing] the question becomes, not `did I break the
         rules?' but rather `does it work?'" -- Sella Rush.